Are you wanting to learn how to crochet a pillow? If so, my newest design is an easy crochet pillow pattern! This pillow cover is so fun to work up, uses simple stitches and would look great in any color combination! If you'd like to add a fun homemade piece to your home then this crochet pillow cover maybe the pattern you've been looking for.

Read on down to find the free crochet pillow pattern because why wait to get started!

Pillow Crochet Pattern || FREE PATTERN || Easy Crochet

Crochet Pillow Tutorial

You'll need a few things before you can start crocheting a pillow. I'll go over each of them below, so you'll be ready to start working on this crocheted pillow.

Pillow Form

First, you'll want a pillow form or pillow. This pillow cover pattern is great for a 15×15 sized pillow or pillow form. I actually used an old pillow I had around the house that needed a little face lift and covered it with a black pillow cover. (I linked up a pillow form above if you need one, just click to shop!) I am using mine as a throw pillow for my room, but it would look great anywhere I'm confident.

Yarn & Crochet Hooks

Secondly, you'll want a four weight yarn to crochet this pillow cover. I used Vanna's Choice Yarn from Lion Brand for my pillow because of how well it holds up over time, which is a must in my house!

Vanna's Choice is a 100% acrylic yarn that comes in an over 40 different colors, so you can make your pillow cover truly unique to you. I can see this in just one color or even all different colors for a fun design!

You will also need a crochet hook size that corresponds to the yarn you are going to use to make this pillow case. In this pattern, I am using a J 6 mm crochet hook.

Simple Square Pattern

Lastly you'll want to use the easy crochet simple square pattern to make at least a few different color squares for the front of your pillow pattern.

Get the free pattern square below

  • Simple Square Crochet Pattern

I worked up 9 different color squares in yellow, white, black and tan. I then sewed them together with a yarn needle to create the front of the pillow and used one panel of white to create the back!

FREE Pillow Crochet Pattern by Easy Crochet - www.easycrochet.com

Ready to Get Started?

This is a simple crochet pillow pattern and is very beginner-friendly. I promise you will want to make more and more of this once you realize how easy they are to crochet. If you are ready to make this fun pillow cover, then keep on scrolling down for the full, FREE pillow pattern! Happy Crocheting!

Basic Easy Crochet Pillow Crochet Pattern

Skill Level: Intermediate

Materials

  • Crochet hook size J 6.00 mm
  • Scrap medium weight yarn (4) and about 80 yards of white. I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Oatmeal, Silver Grey, White, Charcoal Grey, White and Mustard.
  • Yarn needle
  • 4 one inch buttons (optional)
  • 15 x 15″  pillow form – I found one here → 15×15 Pillow Form

Notes

  • You may sell items made from this pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns, please link back to me at Easy Crochet for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
  • Written in standard US terms

The Pillow Pattern Steps

Front of Pillow

  • To make the front of the pillow you will need to use my square crochet pattern which can be found here → Simple Square Pattern. Make 9.
  • You may block your squares after you are done if you wish. One Dog Woof has a great tutorial on how to build your blocking station, which can be found here –> DIY blocking station.
  • After you have blocked you can start joining your squares. I used my yarn needle and did an invisible seam. Here is a tutorial from Oombawka Design  –> Invisible Seam Tutorial
  • Now that the squares are sewn together youneed to attach the buttons (optional) 1 at every corner of your center square.
  • Finished size should be approx. 15×15″
Pillow Crochet Pattern || FREE PATTERN || Easy Crochet

Back of Pillow:

(Gauge is approx. 10 hdc's for every 4″)

  • Row 1: With white, ch 35, in 2nd chain from hook half double crochet, half double crochet in every ch across, turn. (34)
  • Row 2: Chain 1, starting in second chain from hook half double crochet, half double crochet in every chain across, turn. (34)
  • Row 3- 25: Repeat row 2 (34)
  • Weave in loose ends with yarn needle.

Finishing

  • Using white yarn, single crochet along edges of front and back of the pillow while evenly holding them together. Making sure they are both facing the correct direction.
  • In every corner, single crochet, chain 1, single crochet.
  • You will make 35 single crochets across every edge. 37 including corners.
  • Make sure to only do 3 sides and then insert your pillow form. Continue single crocheting across last side to finish your pillow. Fasten off yarn and weave in loose ends.

I hope you enjoyed this crochet pillow case pattern! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Don't forget to stop over and check out my new apparel, pattern and accessories shop just for makers Easy Crochet. A portion of all sales are donated to animal shelters & rescues.

More Free Crochet Patterns for the Home